The 2014 Missouri American Water MR340 was postponed from July to August 12-15 due to flooding in the western half of the race course. It was impossible for many who had registered for the original date to make the reschedule, but still 230 boats with 344 paddlers showed up at Kaw Point Park for the 9th annual MR340.
Temps were mild, even a bit chilly at night, with fog in the early morning hours. River levels were perfect and the Persied meteor showers peppered the night sky with gorgeous streaks. As always, the determination of the racers was inspiring and the hard work and dedication of the race volunteers was impressive. For some, this was the perfect race conditions. 190 boats finished.
This was also the inaugural run for the e-340, the first all-solar-powered boat race on the Missouri River. Five boats entered, two boats started and one boat finished under its own power at Katfish Katy's.
Prerace News Articles
- Terrain Magazine -"Preparing for the MR340, the world's longest nonstop paddle race" - by Amy Narishkin, Jan. 29, 2014
- Columbia Tribune - "River Race Sweeps away Columbia residents" - July 4, 2014 (Racer Ed Czebrinski)
- Kansas City Star -"In handcrafted canoe Missouri man and grandson will take river's challenge" - June 22, 2014 (Racers Ken Wodrich and Keaton Schroeder - Team "We Got A Leak")
- Springfield News-Leader - "340 miles in a kayak" - July 4, 2014 (Racer Ian Rogers)
- Lee's Summit Journal - "Lee's Summit paddlers join river adventure" - July 3, 2014 (Racers Jane Monroe and Jody Carroll - "Blistered Sisters")
- Public News Service - "Paddlers Prepped to Preserve Clean Water" - July 7, 2014
- ActionHub - "A Race for Conservation: The Missouri American Water MR340" - June 25, 2014
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch - "Missouri River float trips join St. Charles wine country menu" - June 14, 2014
- Canoe & Kayak Magazine - "Heroes on the Missouri" by Dave Shively, August 25, 2014
- Kansas City Star -“Safety boat captains serve in the MR340 for the love of the river and a challenge” – by Krystal Thomas, August 12, 2014
- Columbia Daily Tribune -“Massive river race winds through Mid-Missouri” – by Alan Burdziak, August 13, 2014
- KBIA Radio (with audio) - “Missouri Hosts World’s Longest Canoe & Kayak Race” (sic) – by Brandon Kiley
- KCUR Radio (with extended audio) -“Racers paddle across the Missouri River in the MR340” – by Matt Hodap
- KCUR Radio - "Living to tell the tale - Missouri River Racers Make it Home" - Interview with Doug Jennings and Amy Sevcik on "Central Standard"
- Jefferson City News Tribune -“River Racers take welcome break at JC Landing” – by Landon Reeves
- Gangsta translation of KC Star article -"Missouri Riva racerz start they 340-mile tour from KCK"
- Columbia Missourian -"Family support helps man during Missouri River 340 Race" - by Christian Fellwock and Lauren Kastner
- Missouri Ruralist - "No Mama's Boys on this Ag Float Trip" - by Mindy Ward, August 20, 2014
- Lee's Summit Journal - "Sisters Win in River Race" - by Russ Pulley, August 26, 2014
Blogs and Such