2017 was perhaps the best weather ever for the MR340. Relatively cool and often cloudy with no severe storms. Storms just a few days before the race put organizers on pins and needles waiting to see how the river would react. But it turned out to be a fairly low and slow river for most of the race course.
373 boats started the race with 79 not finishing.
A collection of articles, videos and other links from the 2017 race.
- Kansas City Star (with video) - "Hundreds of canoes, kayaks take off from KCK for 340-mile race down Missouri River" by Robert Cronkleton, Aug. 8, 2017
- Jefferson City News-Tribune - "Team 680 to support mental serenity, local schools as they tow and float their own "Serenity Now" - by Phillip Sitter, Aug. 1, 2017 - "Expected heavy rains could affect river race" - by Jeff Haldiman, Aug. 6, 2017 - "River racers cool with weather - MR340 competitors deal with quick current, debris" - by Jeff Haldiman, Aug. 10, 2017 - About Ganey-Wilson Team 0680 - 'Serenity Now' - "Local MR 340 participant Team 680 on homestretch of bike-canoe journey" by Phillip Sitter, Aug 12, 2017
- Columbia Missourian - Three articles and photo galleries focused on Columbia area paddlers Team "Can't Stop, Won't Stop" by Gina Balstad - "Columbia team takes on MR340 for first time" - "Family and friends provide motivation, support for paddlers in MR340 race" - "Columbia team finishes MR340 within time limit"
- Washington Missourian - "Canoe Racers Found After Boat Capsized - Early Thursday Morning Near Washington" - by Monte Miller, Aug. 10, 2017
- Springfield News-Ledger - "No lost fingernails this time: Hollister paddler wins grueling 340-mile Missouri River race" by Wes Johnson, Aug. 20, 2017 (about solo winner Brad Daniels) - "Dodging barges, pushing limits: 'I like adversity' says Branson paddler" - by Wes Johnson, Aug. 20, 2017 (about Team Division winners Tandemonium - Diane Diebold, Daryl Simon and Mike Day) - "Pokin Around: Dylan McHardy told me he’ll do anything to win. I believe him." - by Steve Pokin, Aug. 21, 2017
- Daily Gate City - "Paddle boarding impacts Holman's life" - by Brad Cameron
- KSDK-TV - "Why 40-year-old St. Louisan Anthony Arington paddles with a purpose" - by Audrey Dahlgren, June 26, 2017
- VIDEO - "MR340 2017 "Team Green Eggs and Ham" - by the Turleys, who ended up not starting the race but helped at race checkpoints all week long.
- VIDEO - "The People of the MR340"- video by Anna Walters.
- VIDEO - "Missouri native wins grueling cross-state kayak race" - video interview with race legend Joe Mann, Sept. 4, 2017, KSHB TV
- VIDEO - Posted on the "Two Board Dudes" blog about the 5 person SUP team. "Endings with new beginnings, The MR340 Part 1" • "And we are off, The MR340 Part 2 – Kaw Point to Klondike" • "Klondike to Finish Line – MR 340 Part 3"