Squeezed between a week of near flooding conditions and a heat wave, the 2021 race was just right! 419 boats with 639 paddlers from 39 states started the race with 302 boats finishing the race. This was the first race hosted by Missouri River Relief and we are so proud with the performance of all the racers and the rock-solid support by all the volunteers. No storms, moderate heat and patchy fog meant for a fun and challenging race.
Media and News
- PHOTOS - Official race photographer Cindy Hiles (explore several galleries from the race check-in to the finish line)
- PODCAST & Article - KCUR 89.3 - "Paddlers Brave Heat Stroke, Exhaustion And 340 Miles Of The Missouri River Just To Finish Last" - super great podcast from Gina Kaufmann's series "Real Humans".
- ARTICLE - Missouri Life Magazine - "Missouri's Most Extreme Adventures" - August 2021 - includes the MR340 with veteran paddlers Amber & Rusty Coons as well as 340 veteran Chuck McHenry talking about the St. Francis River.
- Jefferson City News Tribune - "Missouri River Relief acquires MR340 race" by Jeff Haldiman, Dec. 9, 2020
- Columbia Missourian - "Columbia paddlers ready for a 340-mile race along the Missouri River" by Alex Wang, July 20, 2021 - "MR340 paddlers make a stop at midpoint en route to St. Charles" by Alex Wang, July 21, 2021
- Columbia Daily Tribune - "Rivermiles passes paddle of MR340 race to Missouri River Relief" by Charles Dunlap, Dec. 7, 2021
- Keloland - "Sioux Falls resident, Navy Veteran finishes 340-mile paddle boat race in Missouri" by Eric Meyer, July 23, 2021 (about racer Thomas McClelland)
- KOMU-8 - "MR340 brings paddlers, supporters and community together" by Meagan Hodges, July 21, 2021
- KSHB-TV - "Descendant of Lewis & Clark expedition carves canoe for MR340 race" - by Charlie Keegan, July 20, 2021
- FOX-4KC - "MR340 river race underway as hundreds of boats make their way from KC to St. Louis" with video, by Heidi Schmitt, July 20, 2021
- PHOTOS - Washington Missourian - "MR340 participants race past Washington, Klondike" - by Julia Hansen and Catherine Miller, July 24, 2021
- ARTICLE - Magnificent Missouri - "Let the Missouri River Be Your Desitnation"
- ABC17 - "How the weather is impacting the MR340 Race" - by Maddie Est, July 21, 2021
- Ft. Leavenworth Lamp - "CGSC instructor completes 340-mile river race" - by Katie Peterson, Aug. 5, 2021
- BLOG - Calico Moon Race Report - by Rusty Coons
- Park Hills Daily Journal - "Stolen kayak replaced by wave of generosity" - by Sarah Haas, Aug. 21, 2021
- VIDEO - "My MR340 Journey | Paddling 340 miles on a Stand Up Paddle Board" by paddler Michael Carson.