Race Highlights - July 12-15, 2022
This was a lower river than we've had in awhile, leading to some generally slower times. It was hot, but not triple-digit hot. With no storms and very little fog, it was a great week to be on the river. One of the big stories this year was West County local Dustin LeCave taking men's solo for the third year in a row. Dustin was the first boat to the finish (exceedingly rare event for a solo) and beat out "Make Mine A Triple" (the "Kraken" with Matt Walters, Uncle A-Dog and Joe Mann) by more than an hour. Tandemonium with Emily McNeil and Daryl Simons took mixed tandem for the second year in a row. Lauren Rodriguez knocked nearly 3 1/2 hours off her previous woman solo SUP record.
602 paddlers in 404 boats started the race at Kaw Point. 309 boats finished.
Media and News Links
- PHOTOS - Official race photographer Cindy Hiles (explore several galleries from the race check-in to the finish line)
- VIDEO - "The Chronicle - Race for the River" - KMBC (the Kansas City ABC affiliate) sent 6 reporters with 15 cameras along with the 2022 MR340 race and captured some fantastic footage, compelling racer stories, and really distilled the magic of the race. The one-hour doc is split into segments, and there are several additional outtakes as well.
- ARTICLES - Columbia Missourian - "Boat race ready to head down the Missouri River" by Alan Mergensztern, July 8, 2022; "Paddlers racing down the Missouri River take a break at Cooper's Landing" by Alan Mergensztern & photos by Margo Wagner, July 14, 2022; "Winners in the MR340 boat race announced" by Alan Mergensztern, July 15, 2022
- ARTICLES - Columbia Tribune - "What to know about the MR340 river race coming through mid-Missouri Wednesday" by Kevin Graeler, July 13, 2022; "Missouri River racers take a break at Cooper's Landing on the way from KC to St. Charles" by Roger McKinney, July 14, 2022
- ARTICLES - Jefferson City News Tribune - "Jefferson City welcomes Missouri River racers" by Jeff Haldiman, July 14, 2022; "Jefferson City trio takes third in MR 340" by Jeff Haldiman, July 16, 2022 about #1818 Team Big Black Canoe (Wilson, Green & Schwartz).
- VIDEO - Jefferson City News Tribune - "Jefferson City welcomes Missouri River racers"
- ARTICLE - Ozark Sports Zone - "74 year-old Rogersville Man Wins Canoe Race Across Missouri" - by Jacob Cersosimo, July 15, 2022 about #8000 Tandemonium (McNeill & Simons)
- ARTICLE - Washington Missourian - "Hundreds paddle past Washington as part of annual Missouri American Water's MR340 race" by Julia Hansen, July 18, 2022.
- ARTICLE - Platte County Landmark - "A 340-mile kayak race for ‘adventure junkies’" by Debbie Coleman-Topi, July 14, 2022.
- ARTICLE - Marshall Democrat-News - "MR340 paddlers take break at Miami river access point"
- VIDEO - Clips from New Haven by Tony Carosella
- VIDEO - Series of Drone Clips from J.J. Feltrop
- BLOG - "2022 MR340 Race Recap" by Mark Fingerhut, July 18, 2022
- PHOTOS - Photos from Hermann by Mike Langille